Monday, August 17, 2009

wild words

"words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking" John Maynard Keynes

I often wonder what is to become of our 1st Amendment. Before enacting the Constitution, the states refused to ratify unless the civil liberties of the American people would be protected. Hence the Bill of Rights. In my practice, the fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth amendments are what I normally concern myself with. But when I start looking for alternate media viewpoints and I can only find them in personal blogs, the 1st Amendment starts screaming for attention. What happened to wild words? Where are the in-your-face reporters who demand an answer? Where is the NY Times that published the Pentagon Papers despite threat of censure by the government? Where are the wild words that inspired so many to pursue journalism???

No comments: